Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Importance of Connection


I'll never forget the day I was trimming the hedges and accidentally chewed through the extension cord. Thankfully, I didn't receive any sort of electrical jolt, but it did keep me from finishing my task until I was able to locate another cord and plug back into the power source. You see, without that power source to plug in, I couldn't do a thing.

The same is true of our spiritual lives.

As much as we'd like to believe that we're the ones in charge and that our destiny is ours for the choosing, God's Word has something completely different to say. We have absolutely no power of our own. The only way that we can be truly productive is to stay connected to the vine, who is Christ. Apart from Him we can do N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

And when you really stop to think about it, why would we want to be anywhere else? Staying close to Jesus brings life, while the opposite brings death in some shape, form or fashion. Oh, moving away from Him may at first feel like freedom and life, but in all actuality it brings death (Proverbs 14:12).

Do we really want control that badly? Wouldn't we rather leave our lives in the more-than-capable hands of the One who made us and loves us and has a plan for our lives?

While staying connected to the Vine isn't always the politically correct thing to do or the most convenient thing to do, it is ALWAYS the best thing to do. But the choice is yours. Abide in the vine and have a fruitful life, or go your own way. But be careful. In the end it's a matter of life or death.

Dear Jesus, I'm so blessed to have You as the Vine and the Father as the Gardener. Forgive me for the times I've tried to get ahead of You, to produce fruit in my own puny strength instead of staying connected to You and allowing Your power to flow through me. When this branch grows unruly, Lord, please prune me back in line with Your eternal plan. I confess, Lord, that my attempts to run my own life have ended in futility and death. It is only through abiding in You that I can do anything, that I can be even mildly productive for Your Kingdom. Help me to rest in You. All that I am is because of You, so I humbly turn my life back over to You to used according to Your plan and purpose. Amen.  

No comments: